Higher National Diploma in Hospitality Management
Hospitality, Food & Beverage
Evelyn NomayoEmail Phone
North East College, Dunlin street, aston village, Drogheda, County Louth.
The Hospitality sector is one of the most important service sector in the Irish economy. Available figures indicate 158,000 persons within 16,000 enterprises are directly employed in the hospitality sector. This represent 8% of current economy-wide employment and the sector contributes €3 billion gross to the economy. The hospitality sector is directly linked to the Tourism industry which employs 220,000 people throughout the country and is worth €7.3 billion to the economy.
The HND in Hospitality Management is geared toward preparing participants to fill up openings in the Hospitality and Tourism sector that is experiencing skill gaps. The qualification is designed to provide specialist vocational programme, linked to professional body requirements and National Occupational Standards. The qualification provides a thorough grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required in the Hospitality sector and the national recognition by employers allows progression direct into employment. It offers a strong emphasis on practical skills development alongside the development of requisite knowledge and understanding in the Hospitality sector. Learners are attracted to this strong vocational programme of study that meets their individual progression needs whether this is into employment or to further study.
Learners will learn to apply finance, marketing and personnel management theories to the hospitality industry. Crucially, they will also study specialised areas such as sustainable tourism and rooms division, and gain invaluable practical experience with a work placement.
Progression from this qualification may well be into or within employment in the hospitality industry where learners may work towards membership of the Institute of Hospitality.
The other progression pathway is further study in related BSc (Hons) Degree programmes and/or professional certifications.
This course has been developed to focus on:
- providing education and training for a range of management careers in hospitality, licensed retail, food and beverage or leisure and tourism sectors; for example food and beverage manager, front of house manager or events manager
- providing opportunities for hospitality managers to follow specialised areas of study directly relevant to individual vocations and professions within the hospitality industry, including study within the licensed trade, leisure and/or tourism sectors, or
specialist culinary arts, leading to a nationally-recognised
- developing the knowledge, understanding and skills of learners in the field of hospitality management across a range of sectors, including those suggested above
- providing opportunities for learners to focus on the development of higher-level skills in a hospitality management context, including investigatory and research skills focusing on management issues within the context of hospitality, leisure or tourism
- providing opportunities for learners to develop a range of skills, techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life within the hospitality industry
To be considered for admission into the HND computing programme, applicants must hold the following qualification:
- QQI Level 6 in Hospitality Management related subject
- HNC in Hospitality Management level 6
- An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by an approved further education institution (Level 6)
- Related work experience
- IELTS score of a minimum 5.0 or equivalent is required if English is a first language
This course is a combination of level 6 and partly level 7 under the National Qualification framework. It is a progression from our HNC Hospitality programme that covers some core units like The Contemporary Hospitality Industry, Finance in the Hospitality Industry, Customer Service, Food and Beverage Operations Management, Rooms Division Operations Management and Marketing in Hospitality. Applicants are expected to have covered the HNC units before they can take the HND units otherwise there qualification will be HNC and the following 3 core HNC units must be taken: The Contemporary Hospitality Industry, Finance in the Hospitality Industry and Customer Service.
- The Contemporary Hospitality Industry
- Customer Service.
- Finance in the Hospitality Industry
- The Developing Manager
- Research Project
- The Entertainment Industry and Venue Management
- Human Resource Management for Service Industries
- Small Business Enterprise
- Employability Skills
- Work-based Experience
Start date: 2nd of october, 2017
Classes are delivered live online.
Northeast College, Dunlin street, Aston Village, Drogheda.