Certificate in Data Analytics for Business
Classroom - Evening
School of Business and Humanities
Information and communication (including ICT)
Colin CooneyEmail Phone
School of Business and Humanities, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Dublin Road, Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland
The Certificate in Data Analytics for Business programme is a 10-credit Level 7 Special Purpose Award. This programme will enable candidates to utilise data for operational and strategic decision making in business. This programme is aimed at non-technical candidates and will provide them with a toolset to frame data problems in a business context, articulate business value, understand the organisation’s information supply chain and communicate and collaborate with data owners and teams. Through case studies, live projects and practical exercises, this programme gives non-technical managers a foundation and understanding of the world of data and the confidence to develop fundamental, business-oriented questions about what the business needs, what business value is and how data can be used to create business value.
Participants who complete this course will have developed the skills to demystify data and have meaningful data conversations at all levels in the organisation and develop data-driven business cases to deliver better decision making and increase competitiveness.
In designing this programme, we researched national and international reports, engaged closely with industry (a range of small, medium and large organisations operating both domestically and internationally), analysed the current jobs market and liaised with our own graduates. This gave us deep insights into the type of data analytics skills that companies in the North East region and beyond need right now.
This programme comprises of one 10-Credit module, entitled 'Managing Data Analytics for Business Growth'. The aims of this programme are for candidates to be able to:
1. Describe the field of data analytics and understand its role in decision making in organisations.
2. Apply the standards, knowledge, and competencies of the business analysis discipline based on internationally recognised methodologies.
3. Discuss the concept of organisational data as a business asset through leading and advancing the data quality agenda in an organisation, while recognising the practicalities of data management and data governance.
4. Collect, integrate and analyse business data for trends and patterns using a flexible and user-friendly toolset.
5. Communicate effectively with a business analyst or data scientist
6. Employ business intelligence tools and techniques for requirements elicitation and analysis to make evidence-based decisions to drive business change and improve business processes.
7. Plan and present findings of problem-solving efforts.
The programme covers a balanced mix of theory and the practical application of this theory. Applied tools will be used to analyse data from several sources such as websites, social media platforms, ERP systems, and CRM systems.
Entry criteria are as follows:
(A) If under 23 year of age - The standard minimum entry requirement for admission to a Level 7 programme is: Six grades at O6 or H7 in Leaving Certificate including at least one H5 Grade or minimum points score of 200 and mathematics Grade F2, O6 or H7 and English Grade O6 or H7 or Irish Grade O6 or H7.
(B) Mature applicants (i.e. over 23 years of age) with suitable work experience.
With regard to the latter, and at the discretion of the Programme Director, a candidate's work history and current employment will be taken into account, and the Institute's RPEL (Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning) policy will be applied.
Interviews may apply to all mature students without a qualification.
Skills that are considered necessary for successful participation in the programme include:
*Willingness to learn
*Good communication Skills
*Ability for self-directed learning
One night a week (3 hours – 6pm to 9pm) plus one Saturday for one semester.
Dundalk Institute of Technology
Lifelong Learning Centre, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Dublin Road, Dundalk, County Louth, IrelandEmail