Certificate in Sustainable Building Technology

Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (0732)
Key Programme Details
Award

Special Purpose Award

NFQ Level

8 About NFQ

Delivery Method

Mixed

Mode

Part Time

ECTS Credits

50

Department

Mayo Campus

General Information
Contact

John Scahill

Email

mary.mccarthy@gmit.ie

Phone

094 9043156

Address

Lifelong Learning Dept
GMIT Mayo Campus
Castlebar Co. Mayo

Important Dates
Application Deadline

13/09/2019

Start Date

23/09/2019

End Date

29/05/2020

About this Course

The main aim of the programme is to provide those who already possess a level 7 qualification in a cognate area of construction with an opportunity to upskill to level 8 in the areas of; Project Management, Sustainable Building Technology, Construction Informatics (which includes Building Information Modelling (BIM)) and Building Energy Systems.

This Special Purpose Award is based on an existing approved full level 8 (Honours degree) award. All of the modules in the award are currently being delivered on a validated degree programmes:
a) Project Management, 10 credits
b) Building Energy Systems, 10 Credits
c) Sustainable Building Technologies, 10 Credits
d) Construction Informatics, 10 Credits
a) Unemployed students
The Next Step - Transitioning to Work 5 credits
Work experience / placement 5 credits
b) Employed students Professional Practice project 10 credits

80% of the modules (40 Credits) are technical and technology related and the remaining 20% relate to the mandatory work experience element of the programme which is carried out via a work placement which takes place in semester 2. Students who are already in appropriate relevant employment (or who can demonstrate appropriate relevant recent experience) will be eligible to apply for and obtain exemption from the two work experience modules and will thus only have to complete the four technical modules (40 credits max).
The programme will be delivered through blended learning and will consist of lectures (on-line and face to face), practicals (computer based practicals, which can be carried at the learners workplace or home) and project work. Delivery will be spread out over 5 days and may include evening or occasional weekend delivery. As with all programmes in GMIT, guest lectures and site visits are also an integral part of the pedagogy of this programme.
The programme is also aimed at providing the learners with an opportunity to subsequently complete a full level 8 honours degree qualification in Sustainable Building Technology on completion of a single module called the Retrofit Project (an existing accredited 20 credit module that consists of a project combined with a mini-dissertation).
It is proposed that the programme will be delivered via a blended learning approach, involving a mixture of on-line (approx. 80%) and face to face (approx. 20%) delivery. The estimate of 12 hrs per week includes in-class and on-line attendance.

Entry Requirements

QQI Level 7 major award or equivalent in a cognate area. GMIT has a Recognition of prior learning (RPL) policy which is actively applied to all courses offered.

Applicants for whom English is not their first language are recommended to have a minimum score of 5.5 (with a minimum of 5.0 in each component) in the International English Language Testing system (IELTS) or equivalent.

Long Description

The main aim of the programme is to provide those who already possess a level 7 qualification in a cognate area of construction with an opportunity to upskill to level 8 in the areas of; Project Management, Sustainable Building Technology, Construction Informatics (which includes Building Information Modelling (BIM)) and Building Energy Systems.

This Special Purpose Award is based on an existing approved full level 8 (Honours degree) award. All of the modules in the award are currently being delivered on a validated degree programmes :
a) Project Management, 10 credits
b) Building Energy Systems, 10 Credits
c) Sustainable Building Technologies, 10 Credits
d) Construction Informatics, 10 Credits
a) Unemployed students
The Next Step - Transitioning to Work 5 credits
Work experience / placement 5 credits
b) Employed students Professional Practice project 10 credits

80% of the modules (40 Credits) are technical and technology related and the remaining 20% relate to the mandatory work experience element of the programme which is carried out via a work placement which takes place in semester 2. Students who are already in appropriate relevant employment (or who can demonstrate appropriate relevant recent experience) will be eligible to apply for and obtain exemption from the two work experience modules and will thus only have to complete the four technical modules (40 credits max).
The programme will be delivered through blended learning and will consist of lectures (on-line and face to face), practicals (computer based practicals, which can be carried at the learners workplace or home) and project work. Delivery will be spread out over 5 days and may include evening or occasional weekend delivery. As with all programmes in GMIT, guest lectures and site visits are also an integral part of the pedagogy of this programme.
The programme is also aimed at providing the learners with an opportunity to subsequently complete a full level 8 honours degree qualification in Sustainable Building Technology on completion of a single module called the Retrofit Project (an existing accredited 20 credit module that consists of a project combined with a mini-dissertation).
The programme will be delivered via a blended learning approach, involving a mixture of on-line (approx. 80%) and face to face (approx. 20%) delivery. The estimate of 12 hrs per week includes in-class and on-line attendance.

Timetable Info

The programme will be delivered via a blended learning approach, involving a mixture of on-line (approx. 80%) and face to face (approx. 20%) delivery. The estimate of 12 hrs per week includes in-class and on-line attendance.

Delivery Location

Mayo Campus

Delivery Notes

Blended Delivery

Admissions Contact Details
Contact Person

Mary McCarthy

Address

Lifelong Learning Dept
GMIT Mayo Campus
Castlebar Co. Mayo

Phone

094 9043156

Email

LLLMayo@gmit.ie