Certificate in Computer Aided Engineering and Finite Element Analysis (September 2019)

Institute of Technology, Tralee (TBC)
Key Programme Details
Award

Minor Award

NFQ Level

8 About NFQ

Delivery Method

Online

Mode

Part Time

ECTS Credits

10

Department

Department of Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

General Information
Contact

Mary Stritch

Email

lifelonglearning@ittralee.ie

Phone

+353 (0)66 7191701

Address

Lifelong Learning Department
Room R101
Business/IT Building
IT Tralee North Campus
Tralee
Co Kerry

Role

Adult Education Co-ordinator

Important Dates
Application Deadline

28/08/2019

Start Date

09/09/2019

End Date

20/12/2019

About this Course

3D solid modelling is the most advanced method of geometric modelling in three dimensions. Solid modelling is the representation of the solid parts of an object on your PC. The typical geometric model is made up of wire frames that show the object in the form of wires. This wire frame structure can be two dimensional, two and half dimensional or three dimensional. Providing surface representation to the wire three dimensional views of geometric models makes the object appear solid on the PC screen and this is what is called solid modelling.

The aim of this programme is to provide the learner with a working knowledge of 3D solid modelling hardware, software and drafting techniques for industry and a working insight into the use of the Finite Element Analysis program.

Entry Requirements

Applicants must hold a NFQ level 7 qualification in mechanical engineering OR construction studies or related discipline OR a minimum of 2 years experience in construction project-related work such as drawing production, measurement or similar activity. The Institute’s policy in relation to recognition of prior learning (RPL) also applies.

Long Description

The module to be completed as part of this programme will include:

Computer Aided Engineering and Finite Element Analysis

Why Choose This Course

This Special Purpose Award will provide training/upskilling in sustainable construction through computer aided design in 2D and 3D formats (including Pro Engineering/Creo software packages), with a particular emphasis on information modelling and collaboration. The programme is aimed at practitioners with some existing design or construction skills who
have been unable to address the skills deficit arising from changes in both the ICT and regulatory environments.

Skills areas which will be developed as part of this programme will include:
• Knowledge of construction, energy and building services technology associated with recent developments in building performance standards, renewable energy and regulatory requirements;
• The use of modelling to test and compare building fabric and services scenarios for more efficient construction as well as performance in use;
• Use of CAD design and modelling software in line with significant recent advances in the area for both design and project management (including costing) as well as management in use.

Career Opportunities

Graduates from this course will be targeting their experience to find work in roles such as the following:
• CAD Technician;
• Quantity Surveying Technician;
• Construction Supervisor;
• Buildings Officer/Manager;
• Property Surveying Technician.

Timetable Info

This programme will be delivered online part-time from September 2019 to December 2019.

Online classes: - Provisional Schedule
Monday 7pm - 9pm

REGISTRATION/ORIENTATION:
All successful applicants will be required to attend in person for registration/orientation, this will take place on Friday, 6th September 2019.
Classes will commence the week beginning Monday, 9th September 2019.

Examinations
Please note all students may be required to attend in person on campus to sit end of semester examinations.

Delivery Location

Online Delivery

Delivery Notes

Online Delivery

Admissions Contact Details
Contact Person

Mary Stritch

Address

Lifelong Learning Department
Room R101
Business/IT Building
IT Tralee North Campus
Tralee
Co Kerry

Phone

+353 (0)66 7191701

Email

lifelonglearning@ittralee.ie

Application Procedures

Apply online at www.springboardcourses.ie

All applicants must submit copies of previous relevant qualifications obtained OTHERWISE applications will not be considered.

Closing date for application to this programme is Wednesday 28th August. Places will be filled by appropriately qualified applicants on a first come, first served basis, therefore early application is advised.

Cost
Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the criteria under the Springboard+ initiative. However, for employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% (€80) will be collected before registration.

This programme is offered subject to approval.