Level 8 About NFQ
Course AdministratorEmail Phone
National University of Ireland, Galway
This one-year, part-time specialist diploma aims to develop specialist knowledge of the medical devices sector and to develop relevant technical and soft skills. The qualification is a minor award at Degree level 8.
This course is of particular benefit to people who require medium-term up-skilling for career advancement within the medical devices sector, or for those looking for focused re-skilling with a view to a career change. It will be of benefit to those with a biology background to gain an appreciation of the technology and engineering aspects of the sector, and equally engineers will benefit from exposure to the science behind the devices.
On completion of the course, participants will have highly marketable, up-to-date and confidence-building knowledge and skills relevant to the medical devices sector. They will have practiced and been assessed on a range of technical and transferable skills which will be beneficial at both the personal and enterprise levels.
If graduates so wish they can progress to the B.Sc. in Science & Technology Studies (NQF level 8) with credit for their studies, though not funded by Springboard+. In this case they will be exempt from one elective stream in the Degree cycle.
On completion of the course participants should have:
• An holistic understanding of the science and engineering behind various medical devices
• Specialised knowledge of human anatomy, physiology and biochemistry and disease states which can be monitored or improved by the use of medical devices
• Good knowledge of the chemistry and physics of materials and an appreciation of which materials can be used to best effect in medical devices
• Technical knowledge and skills in the design, development and manufacture of medical devices
• An appreciation of best practice, industry standards, policies and regulations within the medical devices sector
• Applicants should have reached the age of 21 years on the 1st of January of the calendar year of entry.
• Applicants should hold our own Diploma in Science & Technology Studies or a relevant NFQ Level 7 award, of minimum 90 ECTS credits.
• Recognition of Prior Learning may be considered for entry purposes.
• Please see Springboard FAQs for information on candidate eligibility requirements e.g. Residency requirements, English language requirements.
Please note that following Springboard guidelines, Unemployed applicants are given first preference of places on courses.
This Specialist Diploma consists of four inter-related taught modules and a project. The course is worth a total of 30 ECTS.
The four taught modules are:
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Biocompatibility & Device Design
- Mechanics of Solids
- Medical Device Science
The project topic is chosen by the participant in consultation with their supervisor.
The course is part-time and is delivered via blended learning (distance & online, and classes/labs which require attendance on NUI Galway university on-campus). The on-campus tutorials are held one to two times per month on Saturdays.*
* Notice: due to COVID-19 restrictions Semester 1 teaching (September- December 2020) in 2020/21 will take place in a fully online mode. The course content will be delivered through our online learning system Blackboard. The tutors will communicate material through online tutorials, recorded video tutorials, discussion boards and other interactive online learning methods.
1. Complete the Springboard application form
2. Upload supporting documentation as follows:
The applicant must supply the following supporting documentation to support their application form:
• Identification Passport/Drivers License/Birth Cert
• Proof of Qualifications- Applicant must provide official Transcripts of Qualifications. Eligibility requirements are an NFQ Level 7 or higher qualification of at least 90 ECTS in a related discipline
• Proof of Unemployment/Payment from DEASP (IF APPLICABLE)- please see Springboard FAQs for the most up-to-date details on this
• Proof of Returner Status (IF APPLICABLE)- please see Springboard FAQs for the most up-to-date details on this
• Proof of Employment (IF APPLICABLE)- P60 Form
• Short one-page CV detailing professional experience