Postgraduate Diploma in Biopharmaceutical and Medical Device Systems
Level 9 About NFQ
Department of Life and Physical Sciences
Dr Nuala ComminsEmail Phone
Department of Life and Physical Science,
Athlone Institute of Technology,
Head of Department
• Level 9 Postgraduate Diploma Programme (60 ECTS).
• Blended Delivery - this course will be delivered mostly online with campus based face to face classes on Fridays only.
• Developed in partnership with the Midlands Regional Skills Manager and relevant industry partners.
• Personal and supportive approach to teaching and learning.
• Problem Based Learning (PBL) based approaches will be used to challenge and expand the student’s knowledge, skills and competence.
• The programme addresses to a significant level all four key areas, which have been deemed by government as being of critical importance at this time: digital skills, transversal skills, management and leadership skills and the workplace of the future.
This programme will give learners the opportunity to further their skill, or reskill and make a positive contribution to the economy through gaining an understanding of the dynamics of business and in particular from an industry perspective ensuring they are better at making decisions, solving problems and skilled for the workplace of the future
This programme will be delivered full-time through an innovative blended learning approach involving facilitated workshops and online virtual learning classes
The main objective of this Level 9 offering in Biopharmaceutical and Medical Device Technology is to provide learners with a scientific background the opportunity to explore and develop their interest in the Pharmaceutical, Biotech and MedDevice industries.
Eligible candidates should have a first or a second class honours grade or an international equivalent in a Biology or Chemistry-related primary degree (for example Biotechnology, Toxicology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmaceutical Science, Genetics, Neuroscience, Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Physiology, Medicinal Chemistry or an equivalent qualification).
Graduates who hold equivalent qualifications in related science and technology disciplines or who have relevant industrial experience will be considered for places on a case-by-case basis.
• Process and Equipment Validation
• Lean Six Sigma
• Research Methods
• Analytical Tools for Characterising Biopharmaceuticals
• Quality by Design and Project Management
• QA-Compliance Standards and Auditing
1 year. Timetable to be confirmed.
Online and AIT
Blended Delivery - this course will be delivered mostly online with campus based face to face classes on Fridays only.
Applications will be considered in the order in which they are received.
This programme is free to the Unemployed (that meet specific eligibility criteria).
This programme is 90% funded for those in employment, students that fall into this category must pay a fee of €830. This fee becomes payable when you accept a place if offered.
This programme is 90% funded for Recent graduates (Summer 2020) regardless of employment status and must pay a fee of €830. This fee becomes payable when you accept a place if offered.
AIT operates a two stage application process. You must complete both stages in order for your application to be assessed.
STAGE ONE – ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY
You must make your course application here on www.springboardcourses.ie
You must upload a copy of your highest/most relevant qualification, as per the entry requirements above to this application system.
STAGE TWO – FUNDING ELIGIBILITY
When making your application (or as soon as possible after) you complete an eligibility declaration here:
https://tinyurl.com/yawowndq (please copy and paste this link into the address line of your browser)
On receipt of your completed course application and completed declaration an initial assessment will be made and you will receive a request from AIT to upload required documentation to a secure folder. You must complete this request as soon as possible after you receive it. It will expire after 5 days.
This request will ask for a scan/clear photo of the following documents to be uploaded:
Your most recent passport/drivers licence to verify your identity.
A copy of your highest/most relevant qualification, as per the entry requirements for your chosen course.
You must also upload a scan / photo of one of the following documents to demonstrate your funding eligibility.
1) If you are employed: a recent payslip / most recent P60 / letter from your employer confirming this (amounts must be redacted/blacked out from financial documents).
2) If you are unemployed: a DSP payment slip / letter from DSP confirming your payment type/what you are signing for.
3) If you are a returner who has been on home or other caring duties for 9 of the last 12 months OR you are economically dependent on a partner or spouse and have been unemployed for 9 of the last 12 months you must supply a notarised affidavit confirming this (a template for this is available here: INSERT AFFADAVIT LINK )
4) If you were previously self-employed: a letter/statement from Revenue stating that you are no longer trading or a similar letter from your (former) accountant.
Applicants that do not complete this declaration cannot be assessed for a place on the programme. Places are limited on all programmes, therefore it is imperative that you complete this when making your application (or as soon as possible afterwards).
Please contact Janine King, AIT if you have any queries in relation to this - email email@example.com